Shotgun exhibit opening at Rice Gallery

Atelier Bow-Wow study a historic row house in Houston, 2014. Atelier Bow-Wow in collaboration with Jesús Vassallo and students from the Rice School of Architecture, Shotgun, 2015 Commission, Rice University Art Gallery, Houston, Texas

Brenda Jacoby, A&E Editor

Houston’s Project Row House in the Greater Third Ward inspired a collaboration between Rice University and Tokyo-based architecture studio Atellier Bow-Wow.

The studio was commissioned by the Rice School of Architecture and Rice University Art Gallery to create a semblance of a row house inside Rice Gallery.

Since last year, Rice Assistant Professor Jesus Vallallo and his students have worked alongside Atellier Bow-Wow principals, Yoshiharu Tsukamoto and Momoya Kaijima.

Row houses, primarily used by African-American communities became popular as former slaves became free and needed housing.

The students did extensive research on the cultural significance of the communities, as well as their decline. The exhibition will include many of the research uncovered in the form of documentary photography surveys, tracing the genealogy of the architectural type and construction techniques.

The opening reception is on Friday, Jan. 30, 5p.m–7p.m. The exhibition will remain on view till arch 15. Regular hours resume Jan. 31, Tues-Sat 11 a.m.- 5 p.m., Thurs. 11 a.m.-7 p.m., Sun. 12-5 p.m. Closed Mondays. The gallery is free and open to the public. Rice Gallery is on the ground floor of Sewall Hall,use Campus Entrance 1 at Main Street and Sunset Boulevard.