CAD Society hosts Info session on piping industry

Piping+at+an+unidentified+industrial+plant.+

Kazue Asano / Flickr

Piping at an unidentified industrial plant.

Alyssa Foley, Editor

The HCC Southwest CAD Society hosted Sarah Evans Carter, Operations Manager of the Society of Piping Engineers and Designers (SPED) Thursday Nov. 20 11:30-12:30p.m. at Stafford campus’ Scarcella building. CAD stands for Computer Aided Drafting, which is the design simulation software used by designers, drafters, and engineers.

Piping engineers, designers, and drafters work to create fluid transport systems for oil and gas fields, refineries, and chemical plants. SPED is the professional accreditation society of the piping industry. CAD Society Adviser Kris Asper mentioned after the meeting that HCC’s drafting and design piping program is very popular.

Carter told the gathering of roughly 20 students about opportunities in the field. In 2008, surveys showed that the average piper was 55 years old and approaching retirement. This leaves many job openings for college graduates. Carter admitted that, “The Houston area is fierce in competition, some other areas are easier to get into.” Carter suggested that, “both coasts are good.”

SPED offers professional certification on four levels. “As students, you all are going to be interested in level one,” Carter began. To earn that certificate, test-takers must pass a multiple choice exam and hand-sketch a design. The other certificate levels require five or more years of working in the industry. It costs $225 for the level one exam packet, which includes practice tests and the exam. Carter mentioned that SPED level one exams may be proctored at HCC testing centers.

Cater also discussed SPED membership, noting that, “The networking is invaluable.” Student membership is $20 and regular U.S. membership is $70.

However, non-members are welcome to attend SPED’s Houston chapter meetings free of charge. “We would rather you come and participate more than anything,” Carter said. Their next event will be on Wednesday, Jan. 7 at 6p.m. The meeting will be in the Energy Corridor area, exact location to be announced.

After Carter’s presentation, attendees walked down the hall to room N111 for pizza. Students and CAD Society members Kim Ly and Andrew Oshobu discussed their club.

“[The CAD Society] can help you with your career. I recommend joining to any engineering and drafting students and to any other students in related fields. Recruiters come to our meetings every month,” Ly said.

Oshobu would recommend that every student, “Participate. Get to know people. People and information all come together to solve the puzzle.”

At the CAD Society meeting, club Adviser Kris Asper and Advanced Technology Resource Center Lab Assistant Frederick Lemme announced the requirements for the student holiday ornament competition. Christmas tree ornaments can be made with a 2D or 3D AutoCAD design and should be 3x3x3 inches made with plastic or wood. Lemme helps students bring their designs to life in the Fabrication Lab with HCC’s 3D printers and other tools. The due date for submissions is Dec. 1. The fabrication lab is located at the Stafford campus in the Scarcella building, room S125.

For more information, contact:

CAD Society Adviser: Kris Asper : [email protected] 713-718-7683

Fabrication Lab Assistant: Frederick Lemme : [email protected]