The student news site of Houston Community College

The Egalitarian

Medical student aids classmate

Medical student aids classmate

Alyssa Foley, Editor in Chief
February 12, 2016
Filed under Community, Showcase

On Thursday morning, Houston Community College student Shakila Enamuddin rendered aid to one of her fellow students at the HCC Central library. "I was just reviewing for my exam," Enamuddin said, "and I saw the girl—she was walking really weakly..." Enamuddin said she knew that something was...

Professor-poet recites

Professor-poet recites

Erik Calderon, Culture Editor
February 11, 2016
Filed under Community, Showcase, Video

“Our journey through life can be a tough reality. In my eyes, trying to survive in this cruel world can be a lonely journey. It’s a lonely journey when there are many around you, but you feel alone. It's a lonely feeling always being the first, the only black in this or that…” With these words,...

Central Fitness Center

Jimmieka Mills, News Editor
February 10, 2016

As students at Houston Community College, we have many great recreational benefits. However, free access to the Central campus fitness center is not one of them. At HCC, students pay for recreational sports programming through a $6 per semester fee. Many campuses throughout HCC have free fitness...

Center of Excellence opens

Center of Excellence opens

Erik Calderon
February 10, 2016
Filed under Community, Showcase, Video

Houston Community College Chancellor Cesar Maldonado and several Trustees hosted a grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony on Feb. 3 at the HCC Alief-Hays campus. The Alief-Hays campus, located at 2811 Hayes Rd., is not new, but this event was to celebrate the first project completed by the ...

NASA provides space for STEM students

NASA provides space for STEM students

Ana Ramirez, Writer
February 2, 2016

Houston Community College student Jimmy Lazo was accepted for a NASA electrical design Internship during the 2014 spring semester. “It all started after Chemistry class. I saw a NASA’s National Community College of Aerospace poster on the wall of the Stafford campus and decided to give it a try,”...

Open Carry is not Campus Carry

Open Carry is not Campus Carry

February 2, 2016

The Texas Open Carry law went into effect Jan 1, but that does not mean you can bring a gun to any Houston Community College campus. House Bill 910 permits Concealed Handgun License holders to visibly carry handguns in Texas. This law does not allow anyone without a handgun license to open carry....

What’s with the Greek name?

What’s with the Greek name?

January 30, 2016

Phi Theta Kappa. Psi Beta. Sigma Alpha Pi. Psi Kappa. Phi Beta Lambda. The National Society of Leadership and Success. The National Society of Collegiate Scholars. Use the words ‘Phi’, ‘Psi’, ‘Pi’ or ‘The National Society of’ and you have yourself a student group. If you are asked...

Transfer process has several steps

Transfer process has several steps

Emmanuel Akinola, Staff Writer
January 29, 2016

The spring semester is here, and that means graduation for some of us community college students. That also brings the prospect of transferring to a four-year university. It’s essential to know the steps in making sure your transfer application process runs as smoothly as possible. Those steps include...

New policy, free college for high schoolers

New policy, free college for high schoolers

January 28, 2016

The HCC Board of Trustees voted unanimously to eliminate all out-of-district fees for dual credit students on Jan. 21. Since tuition and fees are already waived for in-district dual credit students, the decision means that all dual credit students will pay nothing to attend Houston Community College s...

Trustees take oath of office

Trustees take oath of office

January 23, 2016

Four newly elected or re-elected Houston Community College trustees were sworn into office in a ceremony on Thursday, Jan. 21, at the HCC Administration Building. "I just want to be an effective leader. I want to make a difference for my community," said Trustee Carolyn Evans-Shabazz, adding that...

HCC Police make Christmas merry

HCC Police make Christmas merry

December 24, 2015

Houston Community College Police force’s Sergeant Reginald Johnson made Christmas merry for six underprivileged families. With the help of Officer Felicia Carter and Officer Karen Davis, he hosted his annual holiday celebration at the West Loop campus on Wednesday. “I enjoy doing this;...

Farewell Trustee Mullins, hello Dr. Hansen

Farewell Trustee Mullins, hello Dr. Hansen

December 23, 2015

Houston Community College Trustee Sandie Mullins said her farewells at the Board of Trrustees meeting Thursday Dec. 17. Mullins lost her race for the Houston City Council District G seat in November to Greg Travis. Her Trustee District VI seat will be filled by Dr. John P. Hansen after Dec. 31. Dr....

The student news site of Houston Community College
Community