The student news site of Houston Community College

The Egalitarian

Southwest student gov host rally

Southwest student gov host rally

Emmanuel Akinola, Staff Writer
May 7, 2016
Filed under Community, Showcase

With finals coming up, the stress level for students can go through the roof. At Houston Community College’s West Loop campus, the Student Government Association hosted their second People with Purpose Pep Rally to help ease students’ nerves. On April 25 many students came from class to get free...

Additional graduation 2016 instructions

Additional graduation 2016 instructions

Egalitarian Staff Report
May 5, 2016

Houston Community College’s annual graduation ceremony will be held on Saturday, May 14 from 9am-noon at NRG Stadium. President and CEO of the Houston Texans Jamey Rootes will be the keynote speaker at commencement. The ceremony registration deadline is extended until Friday, May 6. Register...

Dr. Beatty explains goal of increasing student success

Dr. Beatty explains goal of increasing student success

Alyssa Foley, Editor in Chief
April 22, 2016
Filed under Community

Houston Community College has the ambitious goal of increasing the rate of students passing their courses with an A, B, or C grade by two percent by May 2017. The goal is to start “meeting students where they are and doing things differently in the classroom to get them there,” explained HCC Vice ...

Central SGA places 3rd in convention song contest

Central SGA places 3rd in convention song contest

April 22, 2016

Houston Community College–Central Student Government Association won third place in the state song contest. The Texas Junior College Student Government Association presented the group with a third place certificate at the State Convention, April 7–10 in Austin, Texas. TJCSGA is the only student-...

USC launches survey for food options

April 21, 2016
Filed under Community

The United Student Council launched an online survey on students’ satisfaction with the current food options at Houston Community College campuses. “We started the survey so we can get an idea of what students want,” says Josue Rodriguez, the United Student Council President. “It’s kin...

Are picking Bluebonnets legal?

Are picking Bluebonnets legal?

April 14, 2016
Filed under Community

For years now, Texans have told tourists and each other that “It’s illegal to pick bluebonnets!” With the state flower blossoming across Texas, it’s time to re-examine that. That belief itself is completely false; it’s an urban legend. According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, there’s no...

A beautiful struggle: Elisa Cardenas

A beautiful struggle: Elisa Cardenas

April 14, 2016
Filed under Campus, Community

“I came from a broken home. I really didn’t have guidance. My parents never really got along, and so me and my sister suffered in-between,” recalled Elisa Cardenas, who experienced homelessness at 17. Growing up, “I felt like I didn’t have a place in the world—an identity to actually ca...

Phi Theta Kappa inducts new members

Phi Theta Kappa inducts new members

April 13, 2016

About 60 of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society’s new members were inducted into the organization in a ceremony on April 1. Maria Straus, HCC’s Dean of College Readiness and former Phi Theta Kappa adviser was the keynote speaker. “This is what Phi Theta Kappa is all about, the community of scholars,” sa...

NSCS welcomes 500 new members

NSCS welcomes 500 new members

April 11, 2016

Houston Community College’s chapter of The National Society of Collegiate Scholars is welcoming over 500 new members this semester. NSCS is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies. Membership invitations are sent to first and second year college students of all disciplines based on ...

HCC scholarships open

HCC scholarships open

Ana Ramirez, Staff Writer
April 11, 2016

Houston Community College Foundation scholarship applications for the 2016-2017 academic year are now open until June 3. During the application process, the questions are designed like a survey. For example, it will ask you if you are an engineering student or not. Each scholarship has differe...

Missouri City campus is a good deal

April 7, 2016
Filed under Community

“It became clear that the enrollment at that campus was lower than what was expected,” explained Trustee Neeta Sane, “you can’t even see it where it is. It’s in a closed-knit corner of Sienna.” A new Missouri City campus is being built off Texas Parkway, it’s will be the third site in the...

Livestock auctions makes killing at Rodeo

April 7, 2016
Filed under Community

Around Texas, young people bring their livestock to vie for some of the most coveted titles in the industry: Houston Champion. They participate in the NRG Arena Sales Pavilion around noon on auction days to grab a seat to bid on the year’s top-quality livestock. At the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, hig...

The student news site of Houston Community College
Community