The student news site of Houston Community College

The Egalitarian

HCC hosts golf tournament for Minority Male Initiative Foundation

HCC hosts golf tournament for Minority Male Initiative Foundation

Chutiya Metheesupapak
November 11, 2014
Filed under Community

“I participated for the last three years,” said Stacy Welcome, “It is for a good cause, whenever we can put money forward to and for the career and get them the opportunities specifically for the minority male is the winner.” Welcome added, ”I think it’s very successful because they are able to get participation from large corporations as well as faculty and staff, so just to be able to promote the program itself makes it more successful.” She added that, “it’s not just a once a year type of thing, it’s probably one of the biggest events to support the program.”

Read more »

Drops in the bucket: NSLS hosts Sheryl WuDunn and Nicholas Kristof

Drops in the bucket: NSLS hosts Sheryl WuDunn and Nicholas Kristof

Alyssa Foley, Editor
November 10, 2014
Filed under Community

“All of our lives are chaotic and random. If we can find some way to connect to a cause, we can give it [our lives] some overlying purpose.” Kristof explained. “I think we know that helping people is harder than it looks,” Kristof admitted, “but we can have an effect and that’s profoundly reassuring.” He added that, “I’ve become a believer in drops in the bucket.” WuDunn and Kristof were asked, what can college students do to make a difference? “You don’t have to just give - there’s advocacy,” WuDunn said. She told students to, “Look into something you care about [. . .] Follow an interest you have. Do it with friends.” Kristof recommended using Facebook and Twitter as platforms for advocacy.

Read more »

Game day coming to Stafford Nov. 12

Game day coming to Stafford Nov. 12

Alyssa Foley
November 6, 2014
Filed under Community

The Southwest College’s Student Government Association (SGA) will be hosting Game Day in the Stafford Campus Learning Hub lobby on Wednesday Nov. 12th from noon till 2:30PM. Games will include giant Connect Four, Xbox 360, Jenva, and Playstation. SGA Secretary Rodrigue Djikeuchi described the last Game Day at the West Loop campus on Oct. 15 as a chance for students to, “get to know each other.” SGA President Godswill Muofhe believes there is more to school than going to class. Game Day is an chance for students to do more than just attend class.

Read more »

Students consider chiropractic careers at Southwest college

Students consider chiropractic careers at Southwest college

Alyssa Foley
October 28, 2014
Filed under Community, Showcase

Dr. McKechnie used examples from his almost 30 years of practicing chiropractic medicine to show students what cases they would face if they became a chiropractor. He compared x-rays of healthy necks with abnormal necks on his PowerPoint slides. “I tell patients good discs look like an Oreo cookie. Without the filling, something is wrong.”

Read more »

Mercer talks filmmaking at HCC

Mercer talks filmmaking at HCC

Brenda Jacoby
October 23, 2014

Mercer, 21, reflected on the journey he started two years ago when he started working on “American Dream Quest” (ADQ). His experiences working on that movie served as the driving force to make “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Fairfax?,” the sequel to ADQ set to premier Oct. 25. “I want this movie to be something I can watch with my family over and over again,” Mercer said. “I want this movie to be something people can bond with, laugh with and particularly for the film students — learn with.”

Read more »

OUTSA hosts Coming Out Day At Central campus

OUTSA hosts Coming Out Day At Central campus

John Cañamar
October 17, 2014

Coming Out Day is a day when members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community help other individuals in the process of “going public” with their sexuality. OUTSA President Kelly Meine called on several outside organizations to help HCC students understand and deal with the multitude of feelings experienced while they are planning to tell their family and others about their sexual orientation.

Read more »

Photography instructor hosts workshp on mobile phone photography

Photography instructor hosts workshp on mobile phone photography

John Cañamar
October 14, 2014

Hermann explained how to hide your phone or conceal the fact that you are on the camera feature of your phone when trying to capture your shot in a street photography setting. Simple tidbits like not staring into your phone screen and making eye contact with your subject to slightly more advanced tips like using the volume control of your headphones to control the trigger of the camera. The majority of the tips are common sense yet so basic that most people over look them. Alice Martinez-Mellado, a member of the HCC-West Loop Photography Club said, “I learned a lot during the presentation that some would think common knowledge. Thank you for explaining things the way you do.”

Read more »

The student news site of Houston Community College
Community