HCC annual Black History Gala

The+Honorable+Teta+V.+Banks+gives+keynote+address+at+HCC+Black+History+Gala+on+Feb.+25+at+Hotel+ZaZa.+

Image courtesy of HCC

The Honorable Teta V. Banks gives keynote address at HCC Black History Gala on Feb. 25 at Hotel ZaZa.

On Saturday, Houston Community College held its 11th annual Black History Scholarship Gala at Hotel Zaza in downtown Houston.

The event was hosted by KTRK ABC13 Anchor and host of Crossroads Melanie Lawson and KPRC2 Meteorologist and host of Houston Newsmakers Khambrel Marshall.

According to the HCC Black History Committee website, “For the first time in its 11-year history, the HCC scholarship gala takes a decidedly more worldly view of the plight of African Americans, and examines ways in which average citizens and college students can help improve the lives of under served people around the world.”

This year’s theme for the annual gala was Thinking Globally Acting Locally.

The Honorable Teta V. Banks, Veteran National Chair of the United Nations delivered the keynote address.

“We gather here this evening to celebrate the great history of a people that spans the diaspora. Black history is world history, so we celebrate our history and celebrate our faith.” Banks continued, “The blood that runs through our veins is of generations spanning the globe reaching across oceans and eons of time. Ours is the blood of great kingdoms, great kings, great achievements and great dreams. We’ve known rivers, our souls have grown deep like the rivers. Like none other in the history of human kind, the African diaspora has touched every continent and every corner of the world.”

Banks along with holding the titles of writer, civil rights advocate and diplomat is also an English professor at Lone Star College and Prarie View A&M University. She was born in Monrovia, Liberia and raised in Detroit Michigan. Banks who was elected Chair of the United Nations Associations at its annual Leadership Summit in Washington, DC. in July, 2016, is also the first person of African American descent to be elected chair of the UNA in the organization’s 70-year history.

Her father Rev. A. A. Banks Jr. and her mother Dr. Victoria Allen Banks were both active in the Civil Rights Movement and worked closely with Dr. Martin Luther King Sr., Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks.

Nettie Washington Douglass, the great granddaughter of Booker T. Washington and great great granddaughter of Frederick Douglass was invited by Banks and spoke her great great grandfather’s influence on the celebration of Black History Month.

“When Carter G. Woodson came up with the idea of honoring the accomplishments of African Americans and in particular, Frederick Douglass, he chose the second week in Feb which happened to be the birthdate that Frederick Douglass chose for himself, Valentine’s day and Abraham Lincoln’s birthday Feb 12.”

The Joyce M. Reynolds Lifetime Achievement Award was presented by HCC District IV Trustee Carolyn Evans-Shabazz to Chairman and CEO of ChaseSource Tony Chase and Attorney and former HCC Board of Trustee member Gene L. Locke. Chase has owned several different businesses ranging from radio, telecommunications to his most recent venture his staffing, real estate and construction firm ChaseSource LP.

Locke known well for his work within the Houston community, served under former Houston Mayor Bob Lanier as the City Attorney for the City of Houston. The former HCC Board of Trustee member is currently a partner at Andrews Kurth Kenyon LLP.

Keeping with the gala’s tradition, recipients of the Unstoppable Leadership Awards which are reserved for what the Black History Committee considers, “outstanding local individuals who have made significant differences on the front lines of our community, were introduced. These awards are given to visionary leaders who are the best in their fields and are virtually “unstoppable.” They continually overcome obstacles to soar to greater heights.”

The class of 2017 Unstoppable Leadership Award recipients included Veteran radio announcer for KMJQ FM Majic 102.1 Kandi Eastman. Eastman is known locally for her efforts towards improving and inspiring the Houston community.

Pastor and First Lady of The Fort Bend Church Rev. Byron C. Stevenson and Sonya Taylor Stevenson, also took home Unstoppable Leadership awards. From 300 members in 2004 to 6,000 currently, the church was recognized by Outreach magazine as one of the Top 100 Fastest Growing Churches in America. Taylor Stevenson, created KALEIDOSCOPE, a 501 (c) (3) organization that supports educational and enrichment programs for children and youth through their church. To date, the organization has raised more than $60,000 for college scholarships, trips to local colleges and summer camp activities for youth and children.

Music was provided by Drumgoole & Company. Janet Dokes, Lead soloist and Administrative Coordinator for Pastoral Care Ministries at Lakewood Church led attendees in two moving selections the National Black Anthem and Soon I Will Be Done.

“What you are doing tonight is so very important,” said Douglass Washington, “To me, there is nothing more important than providing the opportunity to students who yearn to learn. In them lies so many answers to so many situations, problems, concerns and not just here in our country but globally. I commend you for being here tonight and raising money to give to students who otherwise may not be able to get a higher education.”

The Black History Committee raises funds to support scholarships for African-American or students of African heritage at HCC. Recipients receive a $1,000 scholarship to help cover the cost of tuition and books. The application processed opened on January 9, 2017. To find out more about the Black History Scholarship or to apply online.