Taking the right steps to plan college success

Image courtesy of HCC

A student’s decorated graduation cap at Houston Community College’s commencement ceremony May 14

Katherine Kwak, Contributor

While every student wants to be successful in college, not all excel.

This is my first semester at HCC, and I was a 2016 Houston Community College Northwest academic award nominee.

I have seen so many students who do not prepare themselves to excel in college. They do not know what classes they have to take, and they are barely knowledgeable about college life.

Students must be resourceful to successfully survive college. One needs to know about what is happening in college. There are so many students who have not looked at HCCS.edu where the information they are looking for is posted. Everything related to HCC is posted on HCC’s website, but students fail to find this information.

I was able to plan my future by gaining information from HCC’s website. Before entering HCC,  I did my research to find more detailed information and to be prepared for college. As a result, I found some important information.

I found out my degree plan and planned what courses I will take before entering HCC. I had to make sure that the University of Houston accepted all of the courses I will take; therefore, I checked the UH degree plan as well. I will transfer to the University of Houston with 66 credits, majoring in Spanish.

I learned that HCC accepts test scores for credit such as the College Level Examination Program scores. I took CLEP College Mathematics, CLEP College Algebra, and CLEP Biology and passed all of them, which allowed me to earn 12 college credits while I was still in high school. It means that I can graduate college early by taking a few exams. It took me only a couple hours to take these exams. If I had not known this information, I would have to take classes in subjects that I already knew well. I will graduate HCC in one and a half years since I already got 12 credits while in high school.

I discovered HCC’s student organizations. Right after entering HCC, I contacted a few professors who are in charge of the clubs that I’m interested in. I will join a reading club and the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society because I’m interested in these two. Phi Theta Kappa membership will even be on my transcript. (HCC Student Life)

I found out that international students can work legally in the United States through a program called Optional Practical Training. An F-1 student may work on campus up to 19.5 hours a week during the fall and spring semesters and full-time during vacation periods if they are considered to be in good F-1 standing. Thanks to OPT, international students can be employed.  After graduating from HCC, I will get a job that is related to my major. Through OPT, I will get a bilingual tutor job so that I can pay for my college education. I am planning to become a HCC Spanish tutor so that I can develop my communication and teaching skills.

I suggest every college student plan their college years thoroughly by getting useful information. Look at every single page of HCC’s website. Find out exactly what classes you need to take. Set your academic goals. Participate in college organizations. If you are thinking of transferring to another university, make sure it accepts every course you have taken in HCC. Being resourceful is important because it allows you to plan your future.