Coleman students earn awards

HCC student Lottie Kesee (left) poses with her Advisor Darnell Pledger (right) and her 2016 APCA award.

Kimberly Webber, Contributor

Houston Community College’s Coleman Student Life received several honors at the Association for the Promotion of Campus Activities national conference in Houston this past March.

Coleman was represented by student leaders Nadia Carter, Travana Matthews, Fandrea Nazir, Lottie Kesee and their Advisor Darnell Pledger. These leaders have shown a high level of commitment to make a difference on their campus and within the community.

HCC Student Lottie Kesee was this year’s winner of the 2016 APCA award. It is the highest award that an individual student can win at the APCA National Conference. Criteria for this award include service, scholasticism, and leadership.

Coleman Student Life was recognized for its ‘Extensions of Me’ project which was held on campus in honor of Hispanic Heritage month. ‘Extensions of Me’ illustrated the importance of diversity and inclusion. Students delved into verbal expressions that explored the struggles of those in the Hispanic community while also highlighting other minority groups.

“Being Hispanic is not all that you are; it is merely an extension of you,” said poet Gabriella Garcia Medina.

She was the featured poet at the conference, and she provided her experiences through recited poetry. Medina has performed for President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, The Black Eyed Peas, Eva Longoria and many more.

The event combined multiple races, ethnicities, religions and nationalities to celebrate people of color.

The association’s mission is “to promote campus engagement through quality educational experiences, affordable entertainment and community service initiatives.”

The conference gives students an opportunity to enhance their leadership skills as well as identify dynamic and diverse programs to adopt on their respective campus. Over 95 academic and support institutions from across the country attended the conference.
Coleman and the greater HCC community is proud of the accomplishments of Lottie and the HCC Coleman of Students Life efforts to develop engaging activities on our campus.