Around campus, March 9

Ajani Stewart

Teniqua Williams studies in the HCC Central library.

Tuition Changes.

Starting next fall, out-of-district students’ tuition bill will be easier to understand. Instead of being charged for in-district tuition and fees with out-of-district tuition and fee charges being added on as separate lines, students living outside district lines will simply be charged $95 in tuition per semester credit hour and $50 in general fees per semester hour. This doesn’t change how much students are charged, just how it appears on their receipts. Unlike at many colleges across the country, HCC’s tuition and fee rates will remain the same next fall. HCC’s last general tuition and fee increase was enacted in 2011.

Diploma Fee.

The HCC graduation diploma fee of $10 will be eliminated next year. The administration called it “a final stumbling block to students as they document their achievements, transfer to other institutions for further education, and move back to the workforce.” Collectively, students have been paying $52 thousand a year to receive their printed diplomas.

Course material fee eliminated.

The Northwest College has been charging a course material fee of $40 for ENGL 1301 courses. Starting next fall, the fee will be erased because “Open source materials are now available at no charge, rendering that fee unnecessary,” according to school administration. Only Northwest students were charged this fee.

Graduation Rehearsal.

A mandatory rehearsal for graduates walking in HCC’s 2016 graduation ceremony is set for Friday, May 13 at 6pm at NRG Stadium. Parking will be free for the rehearsal, but on graduation day Blue Lot parking will be $12. Registration for the May 16 commencement ceremony opened on March 1. For more info: hccs.edu/students/graduation

Workshop: The Power of Networking.

Houston’s Top LinkedIn Blogger Karthik Rajan will teach students how to be a part of the world’s largest professional network, the benefits of social media and how to take their LinkedIn profile to another level. The workshop will be on March 9 at 5pm at the Northeast Learning Hub. Photographers will be onsite to take professional headshots. HCC students can register for free at: bit.do/hcclinkedin

Career Ambassador Network, Southwest.

Career Ambassadors serve as a bridge between Career Planning and Resources and HCC’s student population. CAN Meetings: March 10 from 4-6pm and March 24 from 4-6pm, both at the Stafford campus, room 142. Contact: [email protected] or (713)718-7718

Ballet Dancer Lauren Anderson to teach Master Class

March 11 at 1pm in HCC Central’s Theatre One Studio Q. Lauren Anderson is a former principal dancer for the Houston Ballet and a groundbreaking figure in the history of American dance. In her more than 20 year career with Houston Ballet, she broke the color barrier to become the first African American woman to lead a major ballet company as principal dancer. She approaches education with the same passion she brought to performance, reaching out to young dancers everywhere, because, she says, “Art is not a privilege, it’s a right.”

She will teach an invitation-only class for HCC students, followed by a public Q&A about Anderson’s extraordinary career at 1pm, with a reception 2pm. Every member of the HCC community is welcome.

Dance students intereted in participating in the class should contact instructor Julie Bata at 713-718-2370.

Realm of Writers Creative Writing Club, Central.

Realm of Writers fosters the creative writing community at HCC. They will meet Tuesday March 15 at 2:30pm at HCC Central Campus, San Jacinto Building room 215. Contact: [email protected]

Photography Club, West Loop.

The Photography Club exposes students to the art of photography through events to improve their technical skills. Open to all HCC students. Street Photography Workshop, March 20.

Contact: [email protected].

Southeast Student Government Association, Southeast.

The Southeast Student Government Association welcomes everyone and encourages students to participate in any of the student organizations on their campus. Meet and Greet Thursday March 17 in the workforce building. General Meeting Thursday March 31. Contact: [email protected]

Student Open Mic Poetry Slam.

The West Loop Student Library Advisory Council will be hosting a Poetry Slam for National Poetry Month in April, featuring poets from within the HCC student body. Student-poets can take this opportunity to showcase their talent. Contact [email protected] or 713-718-7880 to register. The event will be held April 11 from 5-7pm at the West Loop campus.