NSLS awarding scholarships

The National Society of Leadership and Sucess

The National Society of Leadership and Success opened applications for their fall 2015 scholarships. Houston Community College students who are active members of one of HCC’s chapters may apply.

Egalitarian Staff Report

Houston Community College students who are active members of the National Society of Leadership and Success can apply for the organization’s merit and need-based scholarships.

The society is now accepting applications for fall 2015 scholarships. Eligible members from any chapter may apply online through Oct. 31. About 50 students from across the country will be selected as scholarship recipients.

Students who wish to apply for one of the 16 awards must be active members of the NSLS and must complete and submit an application online here. Members may submit multiple applications, but will only be eligible to receive one award per scholarship period. More than 50 winners will be selected by a national review board.

More than $200 thousand is available to members nationwide for the 2015-2016 academic year.

“The cost of pursuing a college degree can be challenging for many undergraduates,” said Charles Knippen, president of NSLS. “The program aims to help propel students toward achieving their potential and furthers our mission to build leaders who make a better world.”

One former award recipient, Julia Carter, used her $2,000 Global Leader scholarship from NSLS to travel to Panama where she helped construct greenhouses and volunteered at a medical clinic.

“Deciding to return to Panama with the non-profit organization, Global Brigades, has been one of the greatest decisions of my life,” said Carter.

The society’s scholarship program is funded through student membership fees with $2 from each registration being dedicated to the fund. Since 2001, more than $683 thousand in scholarships have been awarded.

The NSLS was founded in 2001 and has about 500 chapters nationwide and more than 470 thousand members. It is a for-profit society with an A- rating from the Better Business Bureau.

Questions regarding the Scholarships & Awards program may be sent to [email protected]